I could eat these spicy sweet potato fries every day. Being a huge lover of chips/fries, they are my biggest weakness. Discovering that you can make fries with more vegetables other than potatoes was a game changer for me. Sweet potato fries are healthier and these are oven baked making them even better. I absolutely love potatoes but try to eat more sweet potatoes as they are a healthier carb.
After the success of my twice cooked masala fries I decided it would only be fair to make a sweet potato version. These spicy sweet potato fries don’t need to be cooked twice as sweet potato cooks faster than normal potato. This recipe only uses 2 tablespoons of oil and is seasoned with red chilli powder to give these fries a spicy twist. I try not to use a lot of oil in my cooking. Vegetables contain a lot of water and don’t always need a lot of oil to keep them moist.
Like most of my recipes I have given these a spicy kick by adding red chilli powder. This makes them flavoursome with a little kick and not overpoweringly hot. You can eat them with hot sauce if you want some extra hotness.
These healthy fries are oven baked but are still crispy. They make the best side dish with burgers, wraps and salad. They are also amazing on their own, try them with my homemade tomato ketchup. I love making these with a halloumi salad or with spicy bean cakes.
Do you love fries as much as I do? Leave me a comment and rate this recipe if you like it. Share your pictures on Instagram with #prettyvegetarian.
Spicy sweet potato fries
Yield 2 people
These spicy sweet potato fries are oven baked and only use two tablespoons of oil making them extra healthy. The perfect side dish to burgers, wraps and salads.
- 2 sweet potatoes, washed and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon rapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon red chilli powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 220°c or 425°f.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into thin slices to resemble fries.
- Place the sweet potato fries on a baking tray as a single layer.
- Cover with oil, red chilli powder, salt and pepper. Make sure the seasoning covers all the fries.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes. Turn the fries half way through the cooking time.
- Serve immediately warm.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 14 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Unsaturated Fat 12 g
Sodium 1235 mg
Total Carbohydrates 27 g
Dietary Fiber 4 g
Sugars 5 g
Protein 2 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.