These spicy roasted edamame beans make the perfect snack. I love snacking but my problem is that once I start, it’s really hard to stop. For that reason I decided to make some healthy snack recipes. These edamame beans are oven roasted and seasoned with cayenne pepper to give them a little bit of a kick. They really do hit the snack spot!
I really like steamed edamame beans in the pod, they make a great snack or side dish with Japanese food. Edamame beans are undeveloped soybeans. They are picked before they have fully ripened. This healthy snack like soybeans is a good source of protein and fibre. Like a lot of green vegetables they are also a good source of iron and low in calories.
read recipe »
For this recipe I am using frozen edamame beans that have already been shelled. I bought mine from a Chinese supermarket but most major stores also sell them in the UK and USA. If you are looking for extra crispy roasted edamame beans then wash the beans and lay them out on a tea towel to dry overnight. I leave them out for a few hours and they are crispy but not extra crispy, if you know what I mean? They didn’t have the crunch sound when you bite into them. Mix the beans with oil, salt and cayenne pepper. Place them on a baking tray as a single layer and roast in the oven for 45 minutes.
This healthy snack will keep for a few weeks in an airtight container.
What’s your favourite spicy snack? Leave me a comment and rate this recipe if you like it. Share your pictures on Instagram with #prettyvegetarian.
Spicy roasted edamame beans
Yield 5 servings
These spicy roasted edamame beans make the perfect snack. Crispy oven roasted edamame beans are healthy and low in calories.
- 500g edamame beans, frozen
- 2 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Wash the edamame beans and lay out on a clean tea towel to dry. They need to be super dry if you want a crispy result, I leave them overnight or for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 200°c or 400°f.
- Mix together the edamame beans, oil, salt and cayenne.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Spread the edamame beans as a single layer and roast in the oven for 45 minutes. Turn half way through the cooking time and reduce the heat if they start to burn.
- The edamame beans are cooked when crispy and crunchy.
- Store in an airtight container, will keep for up to 2 weeks.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 10 g
Unsaturated Fat 5 g
Sodium 950 mg
Total Carbohydrates 12 g
Dietary Fiber 5 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 11 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.