I discovered spicy Indian scrambled eggs when I was looking for a way to spice up my breakfast. Like most things Indian, this recipe contains spices and lots of flavour. Growing up, we didn’t cook eggs at home and it wasn’t because we were vegan as we had other dairy products but not eggs. I started cooking eggs when I went to university. It’s common that some Indian people don’t eat eggs but will drink milk and eat other dairy products. I think this is a cultural thing. It’s not for the same reasons vegans don’t eat animal produce.
Indian scrambled eggs are known as anda bhurji in India. The spices and chilli in this recipe really compliment the eggs and it’s a great way to add some flavour to scrambled eggs. You can also use this recipe to make an omelette instead of scrambled eggs if you prefer.
This recipe only takes 20 minutes to dish up including the preparation time. It makes a great breakfast if you are looking for something more filling. It also makes a quick evening meal if you are limited on time. To save time, prepare the onion, tomato, garlic and chilli the night before. Most Indian people have minced chilli and garlic in the fridge or freezer at all times as it’s used on a daily basis. You can learn helpful hints like this in my tips and tricks post.
To make these spicy Indian scrambled eggs, start with tempering the mustard seeds in oil and adding the turmeric. Most Indian recipes start with tempering and this one is no different. Next add the garlic, chilli and onion and sauté them. Finally, the eggs, tomatoes and coriander are folded into the pan. Cook the eggs to your personal liking.
I like to serve these eggs with leftover roti but if you don’t have any to hand, have them with toast. If you love having a big breakfast or brunches at the weekends then try making these Indian spicy eggs with spicy Bombay potatoes. This is one of my favourite ways to start the weekend.
I want to know if you like spice as much as I do! Leave me a comment and rate this recipe if you like it. Share your pictures on Instagram with #prettyvegetarian.
Spicy Indian Scrambled Eggs - Anda Bhurji
Yield 2 people
Spicy Indian scrambled eggs are the perfect way to start your day. Packed full of flavour and spice leaving you feeling pleasantly satisfied.
- 4 free range eggs, beaten
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- ½ teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 2-3 chillies (bird's eye), minced or finely chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, peeled, minced or finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- Handful fresh coriander, finely chopped (optional)
- In a bowl add the eggs, cumin, salt and pepper. Mix well until the egg are beaten and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan for a minute over a medium heat.
- When the mustard seeds start popping, this will happen after a minute or so, reduce the heat to low.
- Add the turmeric followed by the chillies, garlic and onion. Stir and return to a medium heat for 5 minutes until the onions have softened, stir occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to low and fold in the egg mixture and stir continuously.
- After a minute stir in the coriander and tomatoes.
- Let the eggs cook until they are scrambled to your liking.
- Serve immediately warm