My mum would make this refreshing yoghurt drink for us when we were little. Gujarati Chaas is the perfect drink with a lot of Indian dishes as it helps to balance the spice. I make this drink a lot more now. It’s become a bit of a substitute for Gujarati Kadhi. This is because it’s too hard to find all the ingredients I need to make Kadhi in Munich.
Chaas is a refreshing yoghurt drink which is popular in Gujarat. This refreshing yoghurt drink is also known as mattha, this is what we call it at home. It’s a yoghurt based drink with salt and you guessed it, spices. However, the spices are optional in this drink. There are many variations on how to make chaas like so much of the Indian cuisine.
Chaas is really easy to make, you simply whisk yoghurt and cold water. Then add the spices and garnish with fresh coriander. It’s made from homemade yoghurt or natural plain yoghurt. The homemade yoghurt makes it a little bit sour.
This simple drink is not only rehydrating due to the salt but it also acts as a digestive due to the spices. This is why it is popular in hot areas of India like Gujarat. It’s drunk on a hot afternoon to cool you down and rehydrate you from the heat. It can also be drunk during and after meals.
I like to serve chaas with Gujarati Khichdi which is a spicy vegetable and lentil rice dish. It is also great alongside vegetable biryani.
Refreshing yoghurt drink – Gujarati Chaas
Yield 2 people
Chaas is a refreshing yoghurt drink which is popular in Gujarat and is also known as mattha. It’s a yoghurt based drink with salt and spices. This simple drink is not only rehydrating due to the salt but it also acts as a digestive due to the spices.
- 125g natural yoghurt
- 600ml ice cold water
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 bird’s eye chilli, minced (optional)
- fresh coriander to garnish
- Add yoghurt, cumin, salt and minced green chilli in a large wide jug or bowl.
- Pour water to the mixture
- Whisk vigorously. Using an electric whisk makes this step easier
- You need to whisk until the liquid becomes frothy.
- Serve immediately, you can add an ice cube to make it cooler.
- The drink can also be refrigerated to keep it chilled.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 2 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Sodium 571 mg
Total Carbohydrates 4 g
Sugars 3 g
Protein 3 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.