These paneer and vegetable skewers were served at my sister’s engagement party. She had an Indian BBQ followed by dessert served from a traditional ice-cream van. It was the perfect sunny day for it. I picked up this recipe from her mother-in-law and have been making it during the summer BBQ season ever since.
Paneer is perfect with Indian spices. It is simple to make at home but also readily available in the supermarkets. It’s made from milk and lemon which gives it that zesty taste. It has a high melting point which is ideal for grilling.
BBQ’s can be hard for vegetarians. A lot of the grilled dishes are meat based and the sides are vegetables. I have a few great BBQ dishes but I want to make more and will be experimenting this summer with our new BBQ. I will be sure to share my recipes with you soon. Paneer is a great vegetarian BBQ recipe if you are looking for one now.
For this recipe, the paneer is marinated in a spicy coriander and yoghurt sauce. Allow the paneer to infuse in the marinade for at least an hour but best would be overnight. The paneer and vegetable skewers are grilled for 10-15 minutes on the BBQ or grill pan. The best thing about these paneer and vegetable skewers is they don’t fall apart on the grill. They can also be made beforehand and kept in an airtight container overnight. If you are using wooden skewers, soak them in water for an hour. This will stop them from burning on the BBQ.
This recipe includes my go to coriander sauce. It’s made using coriander, chilli, garlic, peanuts and lime. It’s super tasty. It can be used as a pesto style sauce or a dip with yoghurt. It makes the best chutney for sandwiches too. Check out my Bombay sandwich, I use it there it takes this sandwich to the next level.
These vegetarian skewers make a great alternative option at BBQ’s. My meat-eating friends love these skewers so make sure you have extra. I like to serve them with Indian coleslaw and spicy Bombay potatoes.
What’s your favourite vegetarian BBQ recipe? Leave me a comment and rate this recipe if you like it. Share your pictures on Instagram with #prettyvegetarian.
Paneer and vegetable skewers
Yield 2 people
Paneer and vegetable skewers marinated in spicy coriander and yoghurt sauce before grilling. This is a great vegetarian BBQ recipe.
For the marinade:
- big handful of fresh coriander
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2 bird’s eye chillies
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ lime, juiced
- 5 peanuts
- 5 tablespoons plain yoghurt
For the skewers
- 200g paneer, cut into 3cm cubes
- 1 large onion, cut into 3cm cubes
- 1 bell pepper, cut into 3cm cubes
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 6 wooden skewers, soaked in water for an hour
- To make the marinade, place all the ingredients into a food processor and blitz into a fine paste.
- Add the paneer, onion and pepper to the marinade and mix well. Ensure all the pieces are covered with the sauce. Cover and place in the fridge for 1 hour or overnight, the longer the better.
- Heat a grill pan or BBQ.
- Thread the paneer and vegetables alternately onto the skewers and brush with oil
- Place skewers in the grill pan or BBQ and let them cook for 3-5 minutes on each side until the paneer is hot and starts to mark.
- Can be baked in the oven at 200°c for 20-25 minutes.
- Can be made beforehand and kept refrigerated overnight.
- If using wooden skewers, soak in water for an hour, this will stop them burning on the BBQ.