Do you get really excited about Shrove Tuesday, also known as pancake day? Or is it just me? These mushroom and spinach pancakes with feta are my signature pancake dish. My best friend and I always made this recipe on Pancake Day as it’s perfect to share with friends. I love a sweet crepe but savoury crepes are so good and make a great evening meal. On Shrove Tuesday I always have both sweet and savoury pancakes because it’s too hard to choose between the two.
Mushroom and spinach pancakes with feta make the best vegetarian savoury filling. This filling can be used for lots of vegetarian dishes such as pizza toppings, pie and pastry filling or a simple healthy breakfast with toast.
The recipe’s cooking time is a bit long at 2 hours but a lot of that time is inactive. To save time, make the pancake batter the night before, cover and leave in the fridge overnight. Do the same with the dried mushrooms, soak them overnight. You can also choose not to use dried mushrooms by adding extra fresh mushrooms. Personally, I love the dried mushrooms they are so tasty and add a bit of substance to the dish.
This mushroom and spinach pancake recipe is really easy but it will depend on how confident you are with cooking pancakes. Freestyle pancake flipping is optional. The mushroom mixture takes 30 minutes to cook and can be left to simmer while you cook the pancakes. The spinach is wilted separately. The dish is assembled into a pancake ‘lasagne’ and baked in the oven for 30 minutes.
This is a great dinner party sharing dish. Mushroom and spinach pancake can be made beforehand and kept in the fridge overnight. Leftovers can also be frozen. I serve it with a simple mixed green salad. If you are anything like me, you will make extra batter just so you can use the leftovers to make crepes for dessert.
This recipe is adapted from a very old school cookbook which I picked up in a charity shop many years ago. It’s called Eat Well Stay Well (Good Housekeeping).
Do you love savoury pancakes? Leave me a comment and rate this recipe if you like it. Share your pictures on Instagram with #prettyvegetarian.
mushroom & spinach pancakes with feta
Yield 4 people
The best vegetarian savoury crepe recipe. Try these mushroom and spinach pancakes with feta for dinner. The pancakes are layered with the mushroom and spinach filling and topped with feta and then baked to make a pancake ‘lasagne’.
For pancake batter:
- 100g whole wheat flour
- 1 egg
- 350ml skimmed milk
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Sunflower oil for cooking
For the filling:
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 25g dried mushroom
- 1 tsp sunflower oil
- 1 chilli, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 bunch of spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 450g mushrooms, roughly chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 450g fresh spinach, washed and roughly chopped
- 150g feta, crumbled
- To make the pancake batter, whisk together the flour, egg, milk and salt and pepper. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes or make beforehand and keep refrigerated overnight.
- Pour the vegetable stock over the dried mushrooms and set aside for 30 minutes, this can also be done the night before.
- Preheat the oven to 200°c/400°f.
- Heat the 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan over a medium heat.
- Add the chilli, garlic, spring onions and chopped mushrooms, cook for 10 minutes, and stir occasionally.
- Now add the soaked dried mushrooms with the stock and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to the boil and then reduce the heat. Let the mixture simmer for 15-20 minutes until it has thickened.
- Cook the pancakes while you are waiting for the mixture to thicken.
- Heat a flat pan and lightly grease with oil.
- Add a big spoon of batter to thinly coat the base of the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes, turn and cook for 30 seconds on the other side. Place the cooked pancake on kitchen paper and continue to cook the rest of the pancake mixture. The batter will make 6-10 pancakes.
- In a separate large pan cook the spinach until wilted and the water has evaporated.
- Lightly grease a large ovenproof dish. Start with a single layer of pancakes, its ok if they overlap. Top with a few spoons of the mushroom, then spinach and sprinkle with a handful of feta. Repeat the layers until you run out of the mixture. Finish with the mushroom mixture, spinach and feta on top.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until browned and hot.
- Serve immediately.
- I prefer fresh spinach but you can use 350g frozen spinach instead, ensure the spinach is thawed.
- Make pancake mixture the night before and leave covered in the fridge.
- The mushrooms can also be soaked the night before to save time.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 22 g
Saturated Fat 8 g
Unsaturated Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 48 mg
Sodium 2021 mg
Total Carbohydrates 36 g
Dietary Fiber 7 g
Sugars 7 g
Protein 19 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.