Indian mint sauce is a must when eating poppadoms in Indian restaurants. It also works really well with Indian starters. Complimentary poppadoms with dips and chutneys at Indian restaurants is something I always look forward to.
The reason why mint works so well with Indian food is because it acts as a palate cleanser. Combined with the yoghurt it soothes and balances the spices in Indian food and prepares you for the next course of spicy goodness.
I am always making this mint sauce when hosting an Indian dinner party, it’s so simple to make. This recipe uses fresh mint over the jar kind. You will always find fresh mint in my fridge as I love drinking fresh mint tea. It’s so soothing and great for your digestive system.
Mint is very versatile and one of the most popular herbs out there. It is best known as a mouth and breath freshener, but it has lots of health benefits too. It is great for digestion, can help relieve nausea and headaches, and can also help with breastfeeding. Mint is one of my favourite flavours, I love all things mint! Chocolate, ice cream, sweets, Indian mint sauce, and the list goes on.
This mint sauce takes less than 10 minutes to put together. Blitz the mint and garlic in a food processor and then add the yoghurt and salt. This Indian mint sauce can be kept in the fridge for use up to 2 days.
It works really well with poppadoms and Indian starters like aloo chaat, Bombay potatoes, and Gujarati samosas.
What is your favourite Indian dip? Leave me a comment and rate this recipe if you like it. Share your pictures on Instagram with #prettyvegetarian.
Indian mint sauce – restaurant style
Yield 4 people
This Indian mint sauce is great with poppadoms and Indian starters. Plus it takes less than 10 minutes to put together.
- handful of fresh mint, trimmed
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 120g (1/2 cup) plain yoghurt
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Place the mint, garlic and a spoon of yoghurt in a food processor, blend into a fine paste. The yoghurt will help it mince.
- Place the yoghurt and salt in a bowl and add the mint and garlic paste.
- Mix well into a smooth sauce.
- Serve immediately or store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to two days.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 1 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Sodium 291 mg
Total Carbohydrates 4 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 2 g
Protein 1 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.