This Indian cucumber salad is fresh, tangy and spicy all at the same time. The cucumber is infused with a garlic, chilli and lime dressing. The cooling of the cucumber works really well with the masala dressing. My mum would make this cucumber salad for us as a snack in the summer when we were younger. It’s a great salad that can be eaten on its own or with Indian curries.
Typically, masala kakdi is made using wedges of cucumber with garlic and chilli masala squeezed into them. In this recipe, the cucumber is cut into ribbons for aesthetic value. The garlic and chilli is minced in a food processor and combined with salt and lime to make the dressing for this Indian cucumber salad. I save time mincing garlic, chilli and ginger in batches and keeping it in the freezer. This means I don’t need to use my food processor every day, which results in not having to clean it. You can find more helpful timesaving ideas in my cooking tips and tricks.
Leave me a comment and rate this recipe if you like it, I want to know if you like spice as much as I do! Share your pictures on Instagram with #prettyvegetarian.
Indian cucumber salad - Masala kakdi
Yield 2 people
This Indian cucumber salad is fresh, tangy and spicy all at the same time. The cucumber is infused with a garlic, chilli and lime dressing. It makes a delicious side salad with Indian curries.
- 1-2 bird’s eye chillies, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cucumber or 4 baby cucumbers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lime, juiced
- Mince the bird’s eye chillies and garlic in a food processor into a fine paste.
- Cut the cucumber into quarters or ribbons using a vegetable peeler and place in a medium-size bowl.
- Add the salt and mix well with your hands, remove any excess water by squeezing the cucumber gently. Discard the water.
- Add the chilli, garlic and lime juice, mix well and serve.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Sodium 1139 mg
Total Carbohydrates 5 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 1 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.