This is a healthy Indian coleslaw recipe that I grew up eating. It’s a warm spicy cabbage salad and, unlike traditional coleslaw, there is no mayonnaise added. This salad is extra crunchy and typically served at Indian wedding as a side. When we were younger my mum would make this for us for lunch during the summer holidays.
Cabbage is a great vegetable that is often overlooked. It is very low in fat and calories, hence the cabbage soup diet that was very popular in the 60’s. It delays the ageing process and it’s good for the eyes, bones, brain and heart. With so many health benefits it’s definitely worth incorporating into your meals.
I love making this Indian coleslaw for BBQ’s or a picnic. It works as a really good side dish and can be eaten warm or cold. The chilli kick in this salad always goes down well amongst my friends. You can also make a big batch of this salad and have it as a light meal at lunchtime.
This is a super easy salad to make. The mustard seeds are tempered and act as the dressing for this warm cabbage salad. The vegetables and chillies are stir fried for 5 minutes before serving. This recipe only takes 20 minutes including the prep time. Serve this salad with paneer and vegetable skewers.
Did you like this spicy cabbage salad? Leave me a comment and rate this recipe if you like it. Share your pictures on Instagram with #prettyvegetarian.
Indian coleslaw - Spicy cabbage salad
Yield 4 people
Indian coleslaw is a warm spicy cabbage salad. This super healthy salad makes a great side dish or light meal.
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1-2 bird’s eye chillies, thinly sliced
- ½ small cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat for 30 seconds.
- Add the mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds start popping, this will happen after a minute or so, reduce the heat to low.
- Add the turmeric followed by the chillies and let it cook for a minute.
- Now add the cabbage, carrot and salt. Stir and return to a medium heat, let the vegetables cook for 5 minutes and stir continuously.
- Serve immediately or keep refrigerated in an airtight container.
- Serves 2 as a light meal.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 4 g
Unsaturated Fat 3 g
Sodium 323 mg
Total Carbohydrates 11 g
Dietary Fiber 4 g
Sugars 6 g
Protein 2 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.