This Indian cumin rice recipe is super easy to follow, giving you restaurant style rice in less than 30 minutes. Cumin rice is a big flavour side dish that works well with curries with big bold flavours like chana masala. This rice recipe is great if you are looking for an alternative to pulao rice.
Ever wondered how to make restaurant style rice or make it so it’s cooked just perfectly? Not too sticky and mushy, each grain is beautifully firm and cooked with just the right amount of bite. Cooking rice is a bit of an art. Indian people have mastered this art over the years, due to how often they eat and cook the stuff. With this simple step by step guide with precise measurements you can also achieve restaurant style rice.
Whole cumin seeds are used in the recipe. Cumin has lots of health benefits. It aids with digestion and the immune system. It also helps you to sleep, breath and is especially good if you have a cold. My mum would make us have a spoon of cumin and turmeric if we had a cough or cold. It wasn’t a pleasant experience but it helped! She would also tie some cumin seeds up in a handkerchief for us to sleep with. All these childhood memories are coming back to me right now.
To cook cumin rice, start by washing the rice in warm water to remove the starch. In a pan heat some oil and add the cumin, let them temper until they darken. Add the rice and fry for a few minutes. Finally add the water and bring to the boil before reducing the heat to low. The result is aromatic and beautifully cooked rice.
Did you make this restaurant style rice? I would love to hear your feedback so leave me a comment and rate this recipe if you like it. Share your pictures on Instagram with #prettyvegetarian.
cumin rice - perfectly cooked jeera rice
Yield 2 people
An easy to follow and super quick cumin rice recipe. This aromatic rice works well with big bold Indian curries. You have to try making jeera rice.
- 125g (⅞ cup) basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 400ml boiling water
- Rinse the rice in warm water. Do this a couple of times. This removes the starch from the rice. I use a strainer/ or a sieve.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat.
- Add the cumin seeds and let them cook for about 30-60 seconds until they start to darken.
- Now add the rice and salt, cook the rice for 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add 400ml of boiling water to the rice and stir.
- Leave the rice to boil for 5-8 minutes, stir occasionally.
- When most of the water has evaporated and the rice grains are mostly soft, reduce the heat to the lowest setting, stir to ensure the cumin seeds are evenly mixed and cover the pan.
- Let the rice cook for 6-7 minutes and then remove from the heat and set aside for 5 minutes with the pan covered. Serve immediately.
- If making the rice in advance sprinkle with a few tablespoons of water and re-heat before serving on the lowest setting for 5-10 minutes with the pan covered.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Unsaturated Fat 7 g
Sodium 1139 mg
Total Carbohydrates 48 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Protein 6 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.