This chilli and lime green beans recipe is so flavoursome. I love taking a simple side dish to the next level with the use of lime and chilli. I decided to jazz up my green beans with this dressing when I was making them as a side to go with mushroom and leek pie for a dinner party. It could have been because I felt I hadn’t used enough chilli that day!
I use a lot of lime and chilli in my recipes, these two flavours work so well together and really compliment vegetables when used as a dressing. I mostly use lime instead of lemon. This is just a habit I have picked up from my mum. The main difference between limes and lemons is that limes have a bitter taste, whereas lemons are sour.
I love green vegetables. I think I am drawn to the greenness. I associate it with goodness and positivity. Green vegetables are a good source of iron, which is important being a vegetarian. I always use fresh green beans for my recipes. You can use frozen if you can’t get hold of fresh ones.
The green beans are steamed for this recipe. I prefer steaming vegetables instead of boiling them. They lose less of their nutrients and hold less moisture this way making them al dente. The dressing is made up of lime zest, chilli flakes, sesame seeds and olive oil.
These chilli and lime green beans are best served with mushroom and leek pie and nut roast. They are so good I could eat a plate just on their own.
Did you make this green beans recipe? Leave me a comment and rate this recipe if you like it. Share your pictures on Instagram with #prettyvegetarian.
Chilli & lime green beans recipe
Yield 2 People
These chilli and lime green beans are delicious and will take a simple side dish to the next level.
- 150g (1 ½ cup) green beans, trimmed
- ½ lime, zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Steam the green beans until they are cooked, it should take about 8-10 minutes. You want them al dente.
- Zest the lime in a bowl using a fine grater and add the lime juice.
- Add the olive oil, chilli flakes, sesame seeds and salt and pepper. Mix the dressing well.
- Once cooked add the green beans to the bowls and mix well.
- Serve immediately hot.
- This dressing can be used on all vegetables and salads.
- Don’t let the green beans stand for too long or they will discolour.