I am a big fan of black pepper sauce, it’s super tasty. I always order it in Chinese restaurants if it’s on the menu. As a vegetarian dish it is mostly served with tofu. For this recipe I am cooking it with cauliflower. This is to make it healthier as I only like tofu when it’s fried. Plus, I love coming up with cauliflower recipes as it’s such an amazing and versatile vegetable.
Pepper sauce is, you guessed it, made from black peppercorns. I generally use a lot of black pepper in my recipes mainly to enhance the taste of other ingredients. It’s nice to dedicate a whole recipe to this amazing ingredient which is sometimes overlooked. Black pepper is the fruit of the peppercorn plant and is used as a spice. It has lots of medicinal properties, such as helping with coughing and indigestion.
Cauliflower is used in so many vegetarian and vegan recipes nowadays. It’s a great vegetable to include in your diet. It is high in fibre, vitamin B and generally good for people with heart conditions or diabetes looking to lose weight. There are many trendy ways to eat cauliflower. Such as rice, pizza crust, mash, hash browns, nachos, tortillas, steak and wings; all great ways to get this super vegetable in your kitchen.
In this recipe I have kept it simple by using the florets. To make this recipe, start with stir frying the cauliflower, you can also steam the cauliflower if you prefer. To make the pepper sauce, sauté the onion, chilli, garlic and ginger until they are soft. Then add the soy sauce, a little brown sugar, lots of black pepper cooked cauliflower and spring onions.
Serve this cauliflower pepper sauce dish with rice or noodles. I like to serve it with quinoa fried rice.
I want to know if you like spice as much as I do. Leave me a comment and rate this recipe if you like it. Share your pictures on Instagram with #prettyvegetarian.
Cauliflower with spicy black pepper sauce
Yield 2 people
Spicy black pepper sauce with cauliflower. A healthy vegetarian dish packed with lots of flavour and spice.
- 400g (2 ½ cups) cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed oil
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 1-2 red chillies, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced/crushed
- thumb-sized root of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons coarse black pepper
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan. Stir-fry the cauliflower with a few tablespoons of water for 5-10 minutes. Cover the pan until the cauliflower is cooked.
- Remove from the pan and set aside on a plate covered with kitchen paper.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the same frying pan over a medium heat for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Now add the onion, chillies, garlic and ginger. Reduce the heat a little and sauté for 10-15 minutes with the pan covered until soft, stir occasionally.
- Stir in the soy sauce and sugar, then add the black pepper and stir well.
- Finally add the cauliflower and spring onions, cook in the sauce for a few minutes until warm through.
- Serve immediately warm.
- Serve with steamed rice or quinoa fried rice.
- Adjust the spice level by removing the seeds from the chillies.
- The cauliflower can also be steamed but keep it firm.
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 14 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Sodium 2366 mg
Total Carbohydrates 31 g
Dietary Fiber 6 g
Sugars 15 g
Protein 10 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.